The Veil by Chloe Neill
Narrator: Amy Landon
Length: 10 hrs and 9 mins
Date Read: August 2015
Genre: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy
Seven years ago, the Veil that separates humanity from what lies beyond was torn apart, and New Orleans was engulfed in a supernatural war. Now, those with paranormal powers have been confined in a walled community that humans call the District. Those who live there call it Devil's Isle.
Claire Connolly is a good girl with a dangerous secret: she’s a Sensitive, a human endowed with magic that seeped through the Veil. Claire knows that revealing her skills would mean being confined to Devil’s Isle. Unfortunately, hiding her power has left her untrained and unfocused.
Liam Quinn knows from experience that magic makes monsters of the weak, and he has no time for a Sensitive with no control of her own strength. But when he sees Claire using her powers to save a human under attack—in full view of the French Quarter—Liam decides to bring her to Devil’s Isle and the teacher she needs, even though getting her out of his way isn’t the same as keeping her out of his head.
But when the Veil threatens to shatter completely, Claire and Liam must work together to stop it, or else New Orleans will burn…
Publisher: NAL Trade
Series: Devil's Isle #1
Also by this author: Friday Night Bites br> br>
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.50
Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)
First Thought when Finished: Strong ending to The Veil by Chloe Neill makes me excited for Book 2.
Overall Thoughts: This will be another list review as I can’t think of a better way to get my thoughts across.
What I liked:
1) The world was freaking awesome and not just because it was set in New Orleans. I liked the, for lack of a better description, carnival feel to it. By that I mean it was a band of people thrown together that were in ways different (class, rank, personality, power) but having to deal with their circumstance (some good, some bad, some downright despicable) in a bit of a fishbowl type of way.
2) The characters were wide and varied! In UF I tend to like when there are characters with various shades of Good to Bad. Particularly if it is because of environment. There are many in this series that I am not sure where they stand but I could see myself rooting for them. I could also see myself wanting to throw a shoe at them.
3) I really liked Claire! I felt she had spunk but she also was level-headed. She had a strong sense of loyalty towards her friends but balanced that out with just the right amount of self-preservation. Her arc was my favorite.
What I was on the fence about:
1) The story was a bit uneven to me but that happens a lot in Urban Fantasy during the first few books. Usually if there is good character development, the story kind of comes in clumps. It was just choppy at times and other times I felt it was little too convenient. I did really like the end though!
2) The tone was a little uneven in the beginning but by the halfway point I think it worked itself out. It might have been planned that way but it kind of distracted me a bit.
Overall this was a good read with a strong ending that makes me excited to read more.
Narrated By Amy Landon / Length: 10 hrs and 9 mins
I really like Amy Landon so I wasn’t surprised that she did a good job with this. I think she played Claire right because she is a good mix of still young but full of life experience. I even liked her voice for Liam. I will be continuing this in audio.
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- #SultryListeners Historical Romance Finals (19th-25th) - August 19, 2019
- #SultryListeners Romantic Suspense Semi-Finals (Aug 12-18) - August 12, 2019
- #SultryListeners Historical Romance Semi-Finals (Aug 5-11) - August 5, 2019