I am back from my whirlwind trip! I think this is the first time (outside of cruises) that I have been to 2 cities in 10 days. It was exhausting, fun, “squee” like (meeting fellow bloggers that I have talked to for a long time), frustrating (just don’t do drama well), and overall quite an adventure that I will remember for a long time to come!As per my blog post title, I have decided to “accentuate the positive” of my experiences at both conferences. I will do a brief (very) negatives POV at the end but overall there is no reason to take away from the very good times that I had. I have learned after attending quite of few different conferences that those are the experiences that you remember years after you have been to them.
- Meeting fellow readers and bloggers. This is actually my favorite thing at any conference that I have been too. There is something magical about getting to hang out with people who read the same books as you do and getting to talk about your favorite things about the romance genre.
- Meeting authors that I LOVE! Seriously every author that attended RomCon this year was fantastic to the readers. They took time inside and outside of panels to talk to everyone. I didn’t come across a single author that was unapproachable. How wonderful it was to hang, talk, and learn more about them as people.
- Meeting authors that were new to me. Honestly, my TBR grew by a ton after RomCon. The more I talked to these wonderful creative people, the more I was curious about their books. My pocket book may not forgive them but I will LOL
- The panels were more creative this year! I really had a lot of fun with the madlibs, highlander panel, gun panel, and the two teas that I attended. Despite some timing (and hotel not delivering food to one of the teas), all of these panels were great. I was sad that I missed the Historical Fashion Show and Strip a Hero—both looked like a ton of fun!
Highlights of my Trip to Denver:
- Meeting Melissa B from Books and Things! Her dogs were precious too! Seriously she is kick *ss in person as she is online.
- Getting to hang with Melissa S and Brandy W! Love them, really do!
- The Chocolate “Awesome” Sauce party in the lobby! All 12 of us that skipped the pajama party had a blast!
- Seeing Maggie Mae and the rest of Kenyon’s Minions again!
- Jade Lee! Seriously that is enough said!
- Hanging with my friend Karen for Diner Sunday night. I love any chance I get to go to downtown Denver. Plus, we both enjoy going to really good restaurants!
- Hanging with the Cover Girls! Especially the lunch at Ted’s!
Things that need to improve (some of these are the same as last year):
- Organization: The timing was off on most panels and it appears more communication is needed with the hotel.
- Location: Having the conference so far away from other things makes it one of the more expensive conferences to go to. Very little is actually within walking distance (Subway, Sonic, A&W, Long John Silvers) so unless you have a car it is fast food or hotel food.
- Pricing for dinners: $35 for any of the meals was overpriced both for the entertainment and meal itself.
- There were some other things but they were avoidable once noticed.
Bottom Line: I would consider going to this conference again but it will depend on the pricing/authors and friends attending.
|Cover Girls Lunch|
|Cover Girls Intimate Chat|
|Jade Lee on the Mechanical Bull|
|My gift from Melissa B! Cowboy Duckie!|
- Meeting fellow readers and bloggers! There were a ton of people that I have been talking to online for years that I was beyond excited to meet. I met at least 30 people that I had talked to either on twitter or through blogs. Each and every one of them were beyond fantastic. Seriously, they made me smile every day!
- Meeting authors I LOVE! I finally got to meet Lara Adrian. I just about had that embarrassing “OMG I AM YOUR BIGGEST FAN” moment. Seriously, I imagine my reaction was only a smidge better than when I met NKOTB when I was 18. I also got to hang/meet with Katie B, Monica B, Dakota C, Melissa S, Nicole P, Jennifer E., Jess H., and Carolyn C. Needless to say I was in Fan Girl Heaven!
- Meeting new to me Authors: OMG there were so many! Stephanie J, Judy F, and Kris C were three of my favs. However there were a dozen more that just Rocked My World with how fantastically sweet, kind, and creative they were!
- Both Light Paranormal Panels! They were just a trip! Seriously we were laughing way before they even started 🙂
Highlights of my Trip:
- Getting to see all of the friends that I met last year through cons! I am really loving getting see all my friends at least once a year. This alone is worth going to conferences!
- Making new friends! Seriously, the people are what made AAD! Every fellow reader and blogger I met was open, kind, and sharing. I made a long list of long time friends. They were all GOLDEN!
- Getting to see the city of Philly! I had so much fun visiting all the historical sites and the food places.
- Meeting Lara Adrian and Heather!
- The Open Bar and Room Party by Melissa S and Kris C. I can’t believe how generous and sweet you guys are!
- Hanging with Sylvia Day—she is just a total sweetheart!
- Bar Time with my girls! Yep I drank my fair share of wine!
Things that need to improve:
- Not all meals were included (big selling point to the con from a price perspective). The 3 dinners for Thurs, Fri, and Sat were included. There were 2 breakfast but you had to be in the first 100 people to get those. So plan that into your budget if attending the conference.
- Communication of changes in schedule. I missed several things I wanted to do because of lack of communication of the changes. I did get a piece of paper with the room changes but not the times. I must note that I am not an IPhone user, I believe that people that were got the updates just fine through the IPhone app.
- Steampunk Ball: I was really looking forward to it (even bought an outfit) but just didn’t get it.
- This last one I want to preface with I understand that a big part of the problem was stress put on the organizers by the hotel not fulfilling their promises. In fact, I would not recommend the Doubletree Hotel in Philadelphia to anyone even for vacationing. After talking to the convention that was there before us, they ran into the same issues we were having. However, I am a firm believer that a little kindness to your customer (aka the convention goers) goes a long way. There are professional ways to approach issues and that was not always the case at this convention. I had only heard great things about AAD before attending so I was a little disappointed in the treatment received both personally and witnessed. I am hoping it was just a case of to many things going wrong at once instead a true display of character.
Bottom Line: To be honest, I really want to go to AAD New Orleans. It has been on my wishlist since it was announced. I was picked as a blogger for it, so I debated on whether sharing my whole experience or not. However, I think honesty is always the best policy. I am still on the fence on whether to base my opinion on this year alone or take into consideration all the wonderful things I heard about years past. I have heard that this year was very different from years past and that the stress may have been the cause of the issues. I am always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt though. So AADNOLA is still on my list next year and I will just hope that the hotel does not put undo stress on the organizers.
|Larissa, Me, Lara, and Heather|
|Light Paranormal Panel|
|Ali and Joy|
|Felicia, Me, and Jen|
|The Felicia’s take the Con!|
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- #30DaysOfThanks2017 Day 20: Wildfire by Ilona Andrews (Audiobook) - November 20, 2017
- #30DaysOfThanks2017 Day 20 Narrator: Carmen Rose #LoveAudiobooks - November 20, 2017
- #30DaysOfThanks2017 From Donna to Lorraine Heath, Katharine Ashe, and Felicia - November 20, 2017