Starting Line! Tracking Post! Reminder why I am doing it 🙂
What is Dewey’s 24-Hour Read-a-thon? For 24 hours, we read books, post to our blogs about our reading, and visit other readers’ blogs. We also participate in mini-challenges throughout the day. It happens twice a year, in April and in October.
Determined the charity I am reading for this time: http://www.literacytexas.org/. My donation will be based on the following (and whichever is more)
- $5 per book read
- 5 center per minute read
- (inspired by Missie): $1 per comment on this post! Get busy commenting y’all
About Literacy Texas: Literacy Texas is the statewide coalition for Texas, connecting and equipping literacy programs through resources, training, networking and advocacy. Our mission is to build capacity for established and emerging literacy coalitions, community based organizations and adult education programs to improve literacy levels in Texas.
Our vision is that every literacy organization in Texas will have the resources it needs to help as many people as possible learn basic literacy skills in order to participate fully in society.
Goal: 16 hours (the most I have done is 10 in a 24 hour period so I am aiming high)
- Listening to Body Double by Tess Gerritsen on audiobook while I finish breakfast, do my google reading, and start the laundry!
- 30 min in and switching to The President’s Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth (now that I can sit and read)
Mini-Challenge #1: (For hour #1 but I missed it)
1)Where are you reading from today? Dallas TX
2)Three random facts about me…: 1: My dogs are reading with me 2: I am an utter goofball 3:I am a moody reader
3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? Undetermined!
4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? I would like to make 16 hours 🙂
5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time? 3rd time as a reader!
- 8:30 check-in: I am still listening to Body Double and have 2.5 hours down! I had more chores to do than I realized 🙂 I am really enjoying this story to so thinking about going on a walk while listening to it before I turn to paper books!
- 9:15 check-in: I am about to head out to meet the family for brunch! I am taking my audiobook but there will be about a 45 min break in there 🙂 My moody reading has kicked in and I switched to something light…..
- 1:00 PM check-in: WOW! I forgot that I didn’t check in after my break. I am still going between Dragons Prefer Blondes and Body Double–I figure I will finish them both before 3pm. I have 6 hours done with about an hour worth of breaks in:) I have done some of the mini-challenges and I am really having fun! I have actually been away from the PC since 11, so I haven’t done the 12 or 1 challenges! I hope everyone is having a good read-a-thon.
- 2:00 PM Check-in: Ok so I still only have 6 hours done in reading LOL (most of the last hour I got up, moved around, and just did a general wake up call)! I am having a blast so far with all the challenges 🙂 I will see y’all again around 3:30—I have a book calling!
- 3:00 PM Check-in: Finished Body Double by Tess Gerritsen (so bloody good) and almost finished with Dragons Prefer Blondes (so bloody funny)! Won’t be back on here till 5:00pm for another check-in —Happy Reading y’all (have 7 hours under my belt)
- 5:00 PM Check-in: So dinner ran longer than I thought so I only got a bit more read (30 min) of Dragons and now I am settling in for a long stretch of reading! So 7.5 hours read 🙂 I am going to do some fun reading !
Mini-Challenge: Recreate a Cover!
So I kind of suck at these kind of things but honestly my stuffed animal has fangs 🙂
1. What are you reading right now? Dragons Prefer Blondes (Book) Beyond the Highland Mist (Audiobook –when I need to be up moving around)
2. How many books have you read so far? Finished 1 and almost done with book 2
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? The President’s Vampire
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? I just pretty much let everyone know I was participating and turned down a few invitations for events.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Had the brother’s bday lunch (I went) and that was pretty much it! I took an audiobook so I didn’t lose much time!
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? It is much easier this 3rd time around!
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope it is running well 🙂
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? I think I now have a science that works for me 🙂
9. Are you getting tired yet? I am actually more alert and reading faster than I did this morning.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered: Nope it appears to be going really well 🙂
FINISHED: Body Double by Tess Gerritsen (5 Wine Glasses)
WIP: Beyond the Highland Mist (will be my walking and get up and move audiobook) and Dragons Prefer Blondes (almost done)
Next in Line: The President’s Vampire and then undecided!
Amount for Charity so far: $52:50 YEAH!
- 7:00 PM Quick Check-IN: Finished Dragons Prefer Blondes (4 Wine Glasses–really fun light read) Now I have to go pick a book, I think a thriller to get me in the mood for The President’s Vampire!
- 9:00 PM: 57% done with The Vampire Dimitri and listening to Beyond the Highland Mist while doing an update! I am 11.5 hours down and really hoping to hit 16 but I am getting a little sleepy so I am going to get up and do a little exercise after this 🙂
Mini Challenge( Pick a character from one of the books you have read during the “thon” and tell us what their theme song would be (include song and artist): Dimitri from The Vampire Dimitri and how what I think was close to being an accurate description of his and Maia song (at least a few times during the story)
11PM check-in: I am getting very SLEEPY LOL 🙂 I knew it would hit me at some point! I just finished The Vampire Dimitri (liked it better than the Vampire Voss) and started It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips! I am probably going to cat nap and set my alarm for 3am to finish out the read-a-thon. Total hours so far: 13.5
4AM check-in: My alarm did not go off so I missed 3am restart time DANG! However, I have 2 solid hours of reading to do (YEAH)!
6AM Check-in: I am listening to Beyond the Highland Mist while I close out this post! This has been such a fun read-a-thon and here are the fact:
Books finished: 3 for a total of $15 to charity
Minutes Read: 930 for a total of $46.50 to charity
Comments Posted: 29 for a total of $29 to charity
Grand total just donate to Literacy Texas: $90.50 (actually $91 since it is whole dollar amounts)
I think I am going to go back to bed for awhile! I will be visiting everyone tomorrow and great job Organizers!
Read-A-Thon WRAPUP Survey1. Which hour was most daunting for you?I would say the last few hours, though I split it up with a cat nap–I really need to step up that part of the game!
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?I think balancing light and dark with books and audiobooks helped a lot. I didn’t get as many books finished but I was fully invested in all of them
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?I think maybe putting together a mailing list. I didn’t do as many mini-challenges because I would have to check in every hour to the website.
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?I really liked all the hosts and the twitter feed. It was fun to keep in touch with other participators.
5. How many books did you read?3 books total with a 4th started.
6. What were the names of the books you read?Body Double by Tess Gerritsen, Dragons Prefer Blondes by Candace Havens, It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
7. Which book did you enjoy most?Body Double by Tess Gerritsen
8. Which did you enjoy least?They were all good reads
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?N/A
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?I will be here in October willing and able 🙂 I think I will try hosting a mini-challenge (maybe LOL)
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- Day 12 #30DaysofThanks #BookGram Aural Fixation FB Group - November 12, 2018
- #SultryListeners Winner:Jeanne St. James’ Double Dare Narrated by Ava Lucas, Teddy Hamilton, J. F. Harding - November 12, 2018
- Day 11 #30DaysofThanks #BookGram Blunder Woman Productions - November 11, 2018