Listening to Audiobooks at a Faster Speed
Someone asked me the other day how I listened to so many audiobooks and the simple answer is: the only time I listen to an audiobook at 1x speed is when I am in my car. I am going to share my tips for listening faster in Windows Media Player, iTunes (Quicktime), Overdrive (for PC), and Audible App.
As far as I know faster playback is not available for Audible on PC, Audible on Cloud, Overdrive App on Phone, Audiobooks.Com App on Phone
NOTE: Previous versions of Overdrive App on Phone (Android) and iPhone can change playback speed but Playback speed cannot be adjusted in OMC 3 for Android at this time.
NOTE: Also Audiobooks.Com app does have playspeed adjust on some phones and not others. It doesn’t work on mine so I can’t write-up a how to (Sorry).
Windows Media Player
First, your audiobook will need to be in MP3 format. I know that most audiobooks either come on CD or downloaded from the web. If you are doing it from CD, I suggest taking the time to rip the CD to your desktop. I take it a step further and merge the files into one file with MergeMP3 (very cool free tool)
- Open up Windows Media Player
- Load your Audiobook
- Right-click on the play button and select fast playback (you can also hit ctrl-shift-g)
iTunes (Actually Quicktime)
- Open Quicktime (as far as I can tell this is not available in iTunes)
- Open your audiobook (you might have to switch file type as it defaults to movie)
- Hit Play
- Click Ctrl-K (Or click on Windows and show AV Controls)
- Playback Speed is in the bottom right hand corner
Audible Phone App
- Download the Audible App from your favorite app store (I think it is in all of them)
- Download your Audible Audiobook
- Hit play
- In the upper toolbar next to Now Playing you will notice a button that looks like a gas gauge. You can select .5x, 1x, 1.5x, 2x(what speed I listen to the most), 3x
Overdrive for PC
- Download Overdrive for PC (http://omc.overdrive.com/)
- Download your audiobook from your library
- Press Play (I wait for all parts to download)
- In the bottom left hand corner you will see a button that looks like a gas gauge. Click that to change your play speed
Hopefully this helps y’all!
- #FitReaders: Join us for July 2020 - July 1, 2020
- June is Audiobook Month:2012 Romantic Suspense Winner Kaleo Griffith - June 7, 2020
- June is Audiobook Month:2012 PNR Sultry Listeners Winner: Lorelei King - June 6, 2020