Library + Online Content = Greatness
What are these wonderful services that I am in love with? They are ways to get audiobooks and ebooks from your library(s) on your devices! For a girl on a book budget, they are the lifeline that keep me happy and give me a place to shop for books without shopping!
However they are not the only online services that I am in love with! Here are just a few things that you might not know about your library and what they offer online:
- Did you know that you can belong to more than one library? That is right! I have 3 library cards (Plano, Frisco, and The Colony). My city has agreements with other cities so that I can get a library card (for free) in each of them if I choose too. I technically have a few other choices but between these 3 I have a pretty good choice of online books. Plus many large libraries will allow you to purchase a yearly membership (if you don’t live there) for rights to use their online services. While this may seem strange, there are many people who live in small towns that may not have access to a larger library budget. You can often (within your state and sometimes outside of it) get a library card to a major city’s library with a fee. In most cases, you can check out what online services they have before hand so you know whether this fee is worth it. Example: Here is the link to the Frisco Public Library Overdrive Catalog. I was able to see what books/audiobook they had before applying for a card.
- Did you know that not all libraries carry the same online catalog? It is true! That is why it comes in handy having access to more than one library. Check with your city (just ask your librarian) to see what other libraries they have deals with!
- Did you know that it is eBooks and Audiobooks? That is right! Most will have extensive catalogs of both eBooks and Audiobooks! Which is just a score all around! Some of the Audiobooks can even be burnt to disk if you want to take them in your car!
- Did you know that by getting books from the libraries you are still supporting authors in a free and legal way? It is true! Added bonus you are supporting the library. Every time you check out a book from the library you support both the author and the library! It is a great way to legally read your favorite authors free and support them in the process. Basically the library will buy the books which is how the author is supported and by checking books out you help circulation numbers which help the Library! Win/Win!
- Did you know that your Library will often have a lot of the newest books? I held off using my library card for the longest time because I thought it was just old stuff or that I would have to go into the library to get the newest stuff. Boy was I wrong! While it is not all of the new stuff (and sometimes not all of a series) there is plenty to choose from. Yes, there may be a waiting period but so worth it when you are getting out of paying for a hardcover. Also I have seen independently published books showing up on the digital services. It is just flat out awesome.
- Did you know that it is a great way to get a book (immediately) when you are in the mood? Checking out a book from digital services is easy, fast, and super convenient. Added bonus of getting to do it in your pajamas if you choose! I was in the mood for a thriller recently and instead of going to an online bookstore I headed to my online library. I was able to “shop” what was currently available for check out and get it on the spot. TOTAL WIN! Plus, it didn’t cost me a cent.
- Did you know that, in many cases, the online content is not just limited to eBooks and Audiobooks? That is right! There are many online classes that you can take through your library too. Everything from writing classes to taking photographs! These are instructor lead continuing education classes that might also help you at work. Great resource for those that like to keep on their toes or learn something new for Fun!
- Did you know that the library is a great resource for research? That is right! Many libraries are taking their research materials and making them available online. Whether you are doing a genealogy search, writing a paper, or need legal research done–you can get most of the materials online through your library. It is a great place to start when you are looking for something for work or personal use. (NOTE: A lot of libraries also have access to state/national resources online through their page!)
- Did you know that your librarian is probably the coolest person you could know? Seriously! If you haven’t talked to a librarian recently you are missing out. They are in the know folks! They can tell you about all these services plus give you book recommendations. They can tell you about the cool things going on at the library and how to stay in the loop. Plus, as book readers we all know they have the coolest job ever! We secretly (or not so secretly) want to be them!
- Did you know that having a library card makes you super cool in my book? It is TRUE! If you have a library card, I totally think you are a really cool person. You don’t have to have one to be cool but it does add to your street cred in my book!
There are many reasons to have a library card but their online content is my top one! Have you checked out your library lately? Do you know what services they offer? Have you talked to your librarian to see what you are missing out on? Trust me, this is something that I wish I would have done sooner! Talk to your library and see what they have to offer you!
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- Donna’s Review: The Highlander’s Norse Bride by Cathy MacRae - March 21, 2018
- In My Ear: Audiobook Releases March 20 2018 + Romance Package Picks! - March 20, 2018
- Donna’s Review: Lost to a Spy by Sharon Cullen - March 14, 2018