TOP THREE REASONS I LOVE MY LIBRARY
1. Because these days it’s super-easy and convenient to borrow materials.
Their entire catalog is online! I simply log in to my account, search, put the item on hold, and I’m all set! Our local library system has 16 locations throughout the county, so if the one closest to me doesn’t have the book, it can be sent to my branch within a couple of days. If there are holds ahead of me, I’ll get an email when the book is available for pick up.
Within the past two years, their eBook and digital audiobook selection has really grown, making borrowing even easier! There are apps for my phone and Kindle for reading and listening to digital loans – Blio & Acoustik. Both very easy to use!
There’s a library app for phones too! I don’t know how many times I’ve seen a book, or a book has popped into my mind while I’m out, and I did a quick check on my phone to see if the library had it. Easy peasy.
2. Because if your library system doesn’t have it, there’s a good chance they can get it from somewhere else.
Interlibrary loans rock! My library has an extensive collection of books, though from time to time there’s something I want that they don’t carry. On their website, they have a link to the WorldCat database. It will show which libraries around the country (and the world!) have what I’m looking for. Just fill out a simple online request form, and they go to work finding the book at another library. I’ve made five or so interlibrary loan requests, and they’ve all been processed free of charge. Depending on the item and its home location, there may be a fee, though I’ve haven’t run into that yet.
3. Because it allows patrons to try new authors, new genres, and new formats for free!
Will I like audiobooks? (Yes!)
Would I enjoy that book getting all the hype? (Fifty Shades of Grey – No! Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Yes!!)
The library is a fabulous way to broaden your horizons without putting a dent in your wallet.
What could be better than that? 🙂
Thanks so much to Felicia for having me today and for helping to spread the love of libraries!
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- #JIAM18 Month Spotlight Series: Weather Warden by @rachelcaine #DinaPearlman#LoveAudiobooks - June 20, 2018
- #JIAM18 Month Spotlight Series: The Embraced by @kerrelynsparks #JillTanner#LoveAudiobooks - June 19, 2018
- #JIAM18 Month Spotlight Series: @Mercys_Garage Alpha & Omega, Mercy Thompson @LoreleiKing Holter Graham #LoveAudiobooks - June 18, 2018