I haven’t done one of these discussion posts in a long time. There are several reasons for this but the main one is that I just can’t keep up. I mean just in the last month we have been hit with Trademark discussions, Unverified Review Discussions, and several other things. On two of these I will be quick in my thoughts:
- Trademark –just because you can do something, might get it through on the down low, doesn’t mean you SHOULD. I care about this one because I think it has far-reaching consequences BUT I am watching to see how it plays out.
- Unverified review discussion–I have an unpopular opinion in that I think people have been abusing that particular thing for a while. So while it looks like Amazon backtracked, I am not so sure they should have. I do believe there are honest reviewers out there. However, with the pressure to post 4/5 star reviews and the pressure on authors/pubs to get loads of them, I feel that system is being more and more abused. I don’t post reviews on Amazon anymore nor do I look at them so it wasn’t worth my breath to get in a Twitter debate over it. So I just stayed out of it.
NOW let’s get to things that I really DO want to talk about:
1: June is Audiobook Month! Y’all this is the time to recognize your favorite narrators and their works. I don’t care how you do it: Instagram, FB, Twitter, Blog, YouTube, Tumblr. Just take some time to give shout outs to your favorites and thank them for their good work this year. I am going to be doing a double thing: Here on the blog (weekdays) I will be spotlighting a narrator, their works, and how you can connect with them. On Instagram (Twitter and FB) I will be highlighting my favorite listens from the last year and the ones I am looking forward too! Things I try to do: tag the narrator, publishing house, and author on ones specific to books because the author needs to know they did good getting it into audio. Also since this is always a discussion (and the dang things change), as far as I know #LoveAudiobooks #JIAM are the most commonly used hashtags. If that changes I will update.
2: Reading vs Listening <—WHY IS THIS A DEBATE? Seriously! I get some people can be pretty snobbish about how they read. I remember all the paper vs e-book debate that popped up years ago when ereaders were coming out. However, for the reading vs listening debate –the truth is I don’t think authors care (as long as it is legally) how you devour their stories. You want to listen–go for it! You want to read–go for it! You want to do both (which I do regularly) then have at it. Please do not shame people for listening to audiobooks because the truth is having another way to get a story, means that story is enjoyed by a whole new audience. I know for me, I get to devour many more stories during the year because I can listen while doing other things. I can’t read while doing those things. So before you discount Audiobooks as not reading, just remember you are trying to discount how people get your favorite author’s stories. NOT COOL AT ALL! Also, just to add–I always want to ask when people say it doesn’t count—Are you sure you read every single word of the book that you are currently reading? Why, because when you listen you do not skip words. I have listened to books I have read going wait–what the what—how did I miss that? Usually small things but it can add to the story.
Just keep that in mind!
So how are you celebrating June is Audiobook Month? I can’t wait to see all the posts!
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- 2019 #SultryListeners Nominations are LIVE (July 19-29 2019) - July 19, 2019
- #FitReaders: Join us for July 2019 - July 1, 2019
- #FitReaders: Join us for June 2019 - June 1, 2019