FaceOff by Lisa Gardner, M.J. Rose
Date Read: June 2014
Genre: Forensic Thriller, Thriller
Edited by #1 New York Times bestselling author David Baldacci and including stories by Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Jeffery Deaver, and more, this one-of-a-kind anthology pulls together the most beloved characters from the best and most popular thriller series today. Worlds collide!
In an unprecedented collaboration, twenty-three of the world’s bestselling and critically acclaimed thriller writers have paired their series characters—such as Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and Lincoln Rhyme—in an eleven-story anthology curated by the International Thriller Writers (ITW). All of the contributors to FaceOff are ITW members and the stories feature these dynamic duos:
- Harry Bosch vs. Patrick Kenzie in “Red Eye,” by Michael Connelly and Dennis Lehane
- John Rebus vs. Roy Grace in “In the Nick of Time,” by Ian Rankin and Peter James
- Slappy the Ventriloquist Dummy vs. Aloysius Pendergast in “Gaslighted,” by R.L. Stine, Douglas Preston, and Lincoln Child
- Malachai Samuels vs. D.D. Warren in “The Laughing Buddha,” by M.J. Rose and Lisa Gardner
- Paul Madriani vs. Alexandra Cooper in “Surfing the Panther,” by Steve Martini and Linda Fairstein
- Lincoln Rhyme vs. Lucas Davenport in “Rhymes With Prey,” by Jeffery Deaver and John Sandford
- Michael Quinn vs. Repairman Jack in “Infernal Night,” by Heather Graham and F. Paul Wilson
- Sean Reilly vs. Glen Garber in “Pit Stop,” by Raymond Khoury and Linwood Barclay
- Wyatt Hunt vs. Joe Trona in “Silent Hunt,” by John Lescroart and T. Jefferson Parker
- Cotton Malone vs. Gray Pierce in “The Devil’s Bones,” by Steve Berry and James Rollins
- Jack Reacher vs. Nick Heller in “Good and Valuable Consideration,” by Lee Child and Joseph Finder
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Also by this author: Maggie's Man, Crash & Burn, 3 Truths and a Lie, Find Her br> br>
FaceOff Blog Tour Samuels VS Warren
In the red corner: Malachai Samuels director of the Phoenix Foundation, a place dedicated to past life studies
Series you will find Malachai in:
- The Reincarnationist (Reincarnationist, #1) by M.J. Rose
- The Memorist (Reincarnationist, #2) by M.J. Rose
- The Hypnotist (Reincarnationist, #3) by M.J. Rose
- The Book of Lost Fragrances (Reincarnationist, #4) by M.J. Rose
- Seduction (The Reincarnationist, #5) by M.J. Rose
- The Collector of Dying Breaths: A Novel of Suspense (Reincarnationist, #6) by M.J. Rose
In the blue corner: Detective D.D. Warren investigator extraordinaire
Series you will find D.D. Warren in:
- Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1) by Lisa Gardner
- Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2) by Lisa Gardner
- The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3) by Lisa Gardner
- Live To Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4) by Lisa Gardner
- Love You More (Detective D.D. Warren, #5) by Lisa Gardner
- Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6) by Lisa Gardner
- Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7) by Lisa Gardner
Read for Review (Meryl L Moss Media)
Overall Rating: 4.00 (Samuels vs Warren)
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.00
NOTE: I will be reviewing the audiobook at a later date but these are my thoughts on The Laughing Buddha by M.J. Rose and Lisa Gardner
Quick Thoughts: Color me intrigued! I haven’t read M.J. Rose but I loved Malachai Samuels. He is the kind of character that you don’t want to root for but see yourself doing it anyway (Think Blacklist type of character). I have read Lisa Gardner and I am a fan of D.D. Warren. They made for an interesting “team” (by team I mean 2 people really after 1 thing but not really working together at all). All in all I think this quick story did what it was supposed to do: introduced you to two intriguing characters and made me want to read more about Malachai Samuels! For those that don’t already read Lisa Gardner, I believe this will make you want to read more about D.D. Warren (you won’t be sorry)! As for who is the winner in this match? I would put the nudge in Malachai Samuels corner (for the short term) but he better hope that he doesn’t end up on her long term list because he would lose!
Thank you to Meryl L. Moss Media Relations, Inc for including me on the tour. If you haven’t read MJ Rose or Lisa Gardner what are you waiting for?
M.J. Rose grew up in New York City mostly in the labyrinthine galleries of the Metropolitan Museum, the dark tunnels and lush gardens of Central Park and reading her mother’s favorite books before she was allowed. She believes mystery and magic are all around us but we are too often too busy to notice… Books that exaggerate mystery and magic draw attention to it and remind us to look for it and revel in it.
She lives in Connecticut with Doug Scofield, a composer, and their very spoiled dog, Winka.
Lisa Gardner, a #1 New York Times crime thriller novelist, began her career in food service, but after catching her hair on fire numerous times, she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, her work as a research analyst for an international consulting firm parlayed her interest in police procedure, cutting edge forensics and twisted plots into a streak of internationally bestselling suspense novels, including her most recent release, Touch & Go.
Lisa lives in New Hampshire with her auto-racing husband and black-diamond skiing daughter. She spends her days writing in her loft with two barky shelties and one silly puppy.
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- Donna’s Review:Unmask Me If You Canby Shana Galen - December 5, 2018
- Donna’s Review:Kiss Me at Christmas by Valerie Bowman - December 5, 2018
- Donna’s Review:First Earl I See Tonight by Anna Bennett - December 5, 2018