Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong
Narrator: Carine Montbertrand, Mozhan Marno
Length: Length 14 hrs 49 min
Date Read: August 2015
Genre: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy
TRUST NO ONE
Olivia Jones is desperate for the truth. The daughter of convicted serial killers, she has begun to suspect that her parents are innocent of their crimes. But who can she trust, in a world where betrayal and deception hide in every shadow?
Liv does have one secret weapon: a mysterious sixth sense that helps her to anticipate danger. The trouble is, this rare power comes with its own risks. There are dark forces that want to exploit Liv's talents - and will stop at nothing to win her to their side.
FACE THE TRUTH
Now Liv must decide, before it's too late. Who does she love? Who is really on her side? And can she save herself without burning down everything that matters most?
Series: Cainsville #3
Also by this author: Omens, Bitten, Visions br> br>
Also in this series: Omens, Visions
Listened for Review (Penguin/Random House)
Overall Rating: 2.50
Character Rating: 2.50
Story Rating: 2.50
Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)
First Thought when Finished: I gave the first two books in this series a 4.00 so I clearly love Cainsville but Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong was just not like the other two for me. I still think that most people will love it (or at least like it more than I did)!
Things that drove me batty:
1) Total backslide in Olivia (she sounded like a wishy washy leading lady of a NA *not the likable kind* romance)
2) Love Triangle <—- HATE THEM with a PASSION! Especially when they are this prevalent.
3) Random Sex because why? I mean I get it (Ricky is a hot biker) but at times it was totally random like I have gone x amount of pages without some so let me throw some in.
4) Mystery way to easy (and totally a side thought). Since mystery was a big seller for me the first two books–this time I was way disappointed.
Things I still liked:
1) Writing was still strong
2) Still like the world and loved learning more about it
3) The mythology is great
4) Gabriel *though I think he was a little too stubborn in accepting things at times*
5) Ricky *though I don’t feel a romantic connection between him and Liv* (which means long term she will end up with him cause that is how it goes when there is a triangle and I think there is a stronger connection with the other person)
Honestly–I am not sure I will do book 4 at this point. I might but I have a feeling it will be triangle, triangle, triangle until the end of book 5.
SPOILER: View Spoiler »So here is the thing: I like both Ricky and Gabriel but this whole replaying a tragic love story between 3 people is like nails on a chalkboard to me. The fact that both guys are worthy (at this point Liv isn’t worthy of either of the two) just makes me think of another triangle that drove me batty: Stray series by Rachel Vincent. I feel she has a more organic connection with Gabriel and more carnal connection with Ricky at this point. I just really don’t know if I can sit through 2 more books of “but I LOVE them both” *sigh* only to have it end with one being not chosen or most likely dead. « Hide Spoiler
Narrated By Carine Montbertrand, Mozhan Marno /Length 14 hrs 49 min
I think both Carine and Mozhan do a really good job but at this point there are clear “from a male POV” chapters that would be better suited for a male narrator. If you are going to have two narrators you would be better off with a male and a female for the rest of the series. In the beginning it was mostly female but in this book it was almost 50/50. I see the guys having half the book in the next two as both are key players. Still I will continue you this in audio either way.
Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE Reveiws
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- #FitReaders: Join us for May 2019 - May 1, 2019
- Happy National Library Week 2019#LibrariesStrong #NationalLibraryWeek#LibrariesTransform - April 8, 2019
- #ForCharity : Buns and Roses 2019 (links included) - April 3, 2019