5 years ago this month I wrote the very first post for this blog. I had no idea there was a book community on the web. I had no clue how many friends I would make. I had no clue how many authors I would meet. I had no clue how many conferences I would attend! Heck I had no clue there were conferences. I had no clue how many books I could truly read in a year. In other words, I had no idea that this blog that was meant to just track the books I read in a year (I was aiming for 100 and fell short) would turn into this wonderful place where I could connect with so many truly amazing people!
I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for being my friends, fellow book lovers, and author stalkers. It is really the most amazing feeling to know that you are not alone in your love for the written word. To know that you are not alone in your love for books that aren’t mainstream. To know that there are other people who get your need to fill their lives with books that have pretty covers and even better stories. To know that you can say “the book was better” after seeing a movie or watching a TV Show and there is a big chance that your friend is thinking the exact same thing. So for all of you that know and are part of my tribe of friends—CHEERS!
Quick look at things I have discovered since beginning this blog:
- Book Conferences! I have attended 3 Readers N Ritas, 3 Boas and Tiaras, 2 RomCons, 2 AADs, and 1 Bouchercon (I have bought a ticket to this conference already for next year).
- Books I am capable of reading in a year: This went from 87 the first year to 225 last year!
- Author book signings! I had no idea I lived in a town so full of book related activity. I really love that I have met so many of my favorites.
- Book Clubs: I belong to 2 and run 1
- Book shelves that are overflowing with books that haven’t been read. I used to buy as I go but now I think I could last at least 3 years if something happened and I couldn’t buy another book. (I do not want to test this theory)
- Twitter, Facebook, and connecting with friends near and far! I have been part of online communities before but this is by far the best one! On a whole, book lovers are the nicest and most giving people in the world.
- Posts in a week: I pretty much average 5 posts a week now as compared to when I started! I was only averaging about 10 a month :)
- MOST OF ALL: How many book lovers there are all over the world that share my passion for reading. This has been the most amazing discovery of all! *HUGGLES* (also who invent words like that–only book nerds)!
To celebrate this milestone I am going to keep it simple! I will be picking 5 winners to pick a book of your choice from either Book Depository (international) or Amazon (US)!
- Open to anywhere that Book Depository ships (Amazon for US)
- The book of choice can be up to a $10 value
- You must enter by Jan 3, 2013 at Midnight
- To enter just fill out the form below with your name and email address
I truly can not express how much I adore each and every one of you! Thank you so much for being my friends!
- Michelle Fidler
© 2012 – 2013, Geeky Bloggers Book Blog.