It happens to us all at one time or another. It could last a couple of days, weeks, or in some cases make you quit all together. None of us want it to happen but acknowledging that it does can help you stave off the book blogger blues!
That was some advice I got from a NY Lifestyle blogger friend of mine 4 years ago. Seriously this was the best advice I ever got “acknowledge that it happens, then you can be prepared”. What came next was just sheer brilliance on my friend’s part: take weekends off! “T” is just brilliant and if she was still blogging for fun I would just make her come here to tell you herself. Now that b*atch is getting paid to blog (plus she reads this so I know she is sitting there giggling)!
So why take weekends off? Well for a couple of reasons actually…
- Did you know that in the world of internet stats that weekends (just like on TV) are the “lowest rated” browsed times? This runs from Friday to Sunday. Not to say that people don’t browse the internet during that time but if you are going to take time off anyway –it is good info to have!
- From Wikipedia: A work week that is too long will result in earning more money at the cost of stressrelated health problems as well as a “drought of leisure.” Now I kind of approach this with even my beloved book blogging hobby. I believe that you need a break in order to take a breather from the stress-related pressures of blogging. It pretty much can have the same cause/risk issues. You may get more books to review BUT there is a big chance you will also have headaches and stress related issues. It isn’t a job but it does take time and dedication. You take time off work–remember to take time for yourself away from blogging.
- This one is kind of just my selfish thing but I have a hard time coming up with 7 days worth of content. I admit it—I am just not that brilliant. 5 days worth of content is just about right for me.
- It gives me time to catch up on my other hobbies: TV and Crochet!
- I have more time to be goofy on Twitter. During the week I squeeze in 5 min here and 5 min there. I just have fun on the weekends.
- It gives my head a break! I work a 50 hour work week and spend 10 hours on my blog (give or take)–that doesn’t count reading or visiting blogs. At the end of the week, I am pretty much a zombie! Seriously it is not pretty!
- I have adopted a much healthier lifestyle than when I started blogging. That means more time in the kitchen and at the gym. One of those I like and the other I force myself to do! You have seen my pinterest, it is pretty easy to know which one I like LOL
- My dogs start looking at my computer like it might make a good fire hydrant if I stay at it too long! They demand snuggle dog time!
- My friends like to see me occasionally
- Really it was just really good advice that I am glad I took!
So how do you ward off the book blogging blues? Any tips/tricks you want to share?
(“T” you really aren’t a b*atch…you are a LUCKY b*atch *smootches*)
© 2012, Geeky Bloggers Book Blog.