Blogger Confession: I read something yesterday that had me “taking it personally” even though I know it was not that meant that way! Sometimes it is hard not to take things personally.
Words! Such a small word with such a huge impact. They can be good, bad, sensual, scathing, and everything in between. I know when we were young our chant was “Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”. If only that was true. Words very much have the power to hurt. In fact, to me, the pen has always been mightier than the sword. Most (not all) physical wounds can be patched and healed but the ones that mark our heart often take longer.
So yesterday I read an article that an author wrote that stated: “unlike most professions, people reading our work are opening a window to our very raw, very exposed soul”
I agree with part of that statement: Authors do pour a piece of themselves into each of their works and expose themselves through their work
The part I disagree with: unlike most other professions.
Anyone who is passionate about their job leaves a piece of themselves in each and everything they do and exposes a part of their soul a long the way..
- Have you ever seen a lawyer argue a case that they are passionate about? Each and every time they leave a piece of themselves in front of that jury and judge. Their soul exposed for everyone to see because you can’t help but to see it in their argument.
- Have you ever had a really good customer service experience with someone who was passionate about the product/place they work? Each and every time you see a piece of themselves in that interaction. You see inside their soul that they have commitment, drive, fear that you don’t like what they love as much.
- Have you ever been to the doctor and had them sit with you through a surgery, questions, fears, and excitement? There is a huge part of themselves in that interaction. Their soul displays an amazing amount of giving, patience, fear, and healing.
- Have you ever seen a teacher give their all to each and every class they teach? They leave a part of themselves with every student that walks through their doors. Their soul displays a amazing amount of teaching, hope, and fear.
- Have you ever thought about the people who take calls at 2am to make sure your company’s servers are running/making sure the non-sexy stuff is running to the ultimate peak running performance? Since this is what I do, I can tell you that each server build, each project, each go live is very personal! Each has a huge piece of me in it and my passion for this technology (a piece of my soul is my passion for making things run smoothly, doing a great job) is exposed during the process of the planning. What I care about, how it is structured, what changes are made come from a part of me that cares deeply about how the product is displayed and how my work is viewed.
Just to be clear about what I am saying: Every person who is passionate about what they do (creative or not) leaves a piece of themselves with their projects, creations, and daily duties. They also expose their souls in the process through their interactions, work ethic, and final products! There is no way that can’t happen because passion has a way of showing in even the most surprising of ways. They are also open up to criticism a long the way (often from both strangers and not) so that part is not exclusive to the artistic world too.
I know I shouldn’t have taken it personally when I read that. I know the person was not meaning to be disparaging to other people by saying what she did. I know creative people tend to be more “out in the public” with their art than the server admin, doctor, teacher, etc. It is just that everything we do has a chance to expose our souls. We all have put our blood, sweat, and tears into something that we are proud of. It does not take being a writer, to expose your soul in a project. That can happen in any realm at any time. All professions when done with passion, time, and dedication will expose us to criticism, vulnerability, and enjoyment.
So this is for all us non-creative in an artistic way people (actually I think all of us is creative but that is another topic for another day): Thank you for being passionate about what you do and for exposing your soul in the process. I appreciate it. To all the authors, actors, directors, artists, and other creative types: Thank You too! I appreciate the part of your creative soul that you have shared with us.
I just had to say something.
During her non-reading time you can find her hanging with her rescue furr children named after book characters: Lizzie a beautiful cattle dog mix (Pound Pup), Cinder a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Pound Pup), and Minerva a beautiful Shep/Pitt mix (Foster Fail). Gathering with friends and family, attending conventions, watching movies/tv shows, rooting for the 49rs, and crocheting.
If you want to follow her DIY, Health, and Life adventures check out Mess to Best
My Google Profile
Latest posts by Felicia S (see all)
- 2019 #SultryListeners Nominations are LIVE (July 19-29 2019) - July 19, 2019
- #FitReaders: Join us for July 2019 - July 1, 2019
- #FitReaders: Join us for June 2019 - June 1, 2019