Blogger Confession: Reading the Old Stuff
OMG Y’all Guess What? I have already given 5 – 5 Star ratings this year! I have also already read 47 books (granted I have read more novellas this year than the last 2 years combined). While that doesn’t sound like a lot of 5’s let’s look back to the last few years:
(Taking out rereads)
- 2014: Read 207 Books – I gave 7 5 Star Ratings
- 2013: Read 214 Books – I gave 17 5 Star Ratings
- 2012: Read 204 Books – I gave 18 5 Star Ratings
- 2011: Read 209 Books – I gave 8 5 Star Ratings
- 2010: Read 114 Books – I gave 7 5 Star Ratings
That’s right y’all! I am a stingy 5 giver. I admit that while I am pretty generous with my 4’s, it takes a LOT for a 5. It has to hit the trifecta: Character, Story, Mood! That last one is hard to hit 🙂
Why do I think I am giving more 5’s this year? I am reading what I want.
I am calling this my year of reading dangerously. Why dangerously? I think as a book blogger sometimes we think we have to blog about the new stuff. That means we need to read the new stuff. This year I am not doing much of either. I gave myself a pass on any review book received before Jan 1 (I will read them eventually but only as they fit with my mood). I allowed myself to read what I wanted to this year no matter the original release date. Any review books that I request this year get listened to pretty quickly because there aren’t that many (they are all audiobooks I would have bought/listened to immediately—I do request the eArc of these too because I like having the book to look up names). It is incredibly freeing 🙂
I spent all of Jan reading Kate Daniels and Shifters Unbound. Then I followed up by starting Kim Harrison, reading some nostalgic reads, and just going with my mood. It means I have found some books that fit the trifecta because the final “mood” was already there!
Guess what also happened? I quit the “must be the most awesome review I have ever written” rat race. Almost all my reviews are short, sweet, and to the point. It is the first time in forever that I only have 2 reviews in my “needtobewritten” shelf on goodreads. Only 2 y’all! Both of those will be longer reviews because I have stuff to say! I had lots of feels and they need to be spoken. However, it isn’t at all beating me down which is a huge difference from years past where I consistently had 15 to 20 on that shelf.
I am enjoying the year of reading dangerously and I honestly don’t see myself going back! I think all of this has contributed to giving more 5’s and I see this trend continuing! YES!
Because you will ask:
- My page views have gone up (I hadn’t looked until now and that kind of surprises me with my time off). I think that had to do with the Audiobook Blog Hop that grew this year and all of Jan being books read from 2014 (so still lots of new stuff). Overall I expect my page views to go down until The Sultry Listeners Awards.
- My reading relationships have grown and that is far more important to me. More conversations are happening and I love that!
- I am having more fun on Twitter/Facebook. I have to admit that Google Plus and TSU have kinda fallen off my radar for now.
- My site is less marketable though for advertising (I don’t actually advertise on my site but it would be harder if I was marketing for that). I can’t emphasize this enough: If I was using this blog for extra income or a springboard to something else I would not operate the way I am currently. This is important because I made a clear hobby choice. I don’t believe this would work for people looking for more from their blog.
- I am having more fun and I think it shows!
- My review book clemency probably did sever some publisher ties that I had because I did write to let them know. It was a chance I took and I am OK with it.
How do you make big changes? Do you pull the band-aid off or slowly ease into it? Am I crazy? (the answer to the last one is probably yes LOL)
However here is to a year of more 5 Star Reads! I am really kind of excited by that possibility 🙂