Blogger Confession: Reading and Reviewing Motto
State of The Geeky Blogger:
- I will read what I want and share my thoughts freely.
- I am beholden to no one.
- I like what I like.
- I love what I love.
- I dislike what I dislike.
- I will NOT let the actions of a few halt the way I share my love of reading.
- I will NOT let the actions of a few curb my enthusiasm for reading and sharing my thoughts.
- I love to read!
- Books I hate, DNF, or dislike for various reasons are still important to me. They challenge my thoughts on morals, acceptable behavior, and believability.
- Books I love, like, and enjoy are important to me. They feel like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. They have the ability to change my world.
- Authors are my rock stars but their personal lives are not any of my business.
- Authors are my rock stars but I reserve the right to quit reading them if something they do offends me. I, however, do not expect others to do the same.
- Authors are my rock stars but they have very little impact on how I see their stories.
- I can love an author and not their like their book.
- I can dislike an author and love their book.
- When I read, my reactions/ratings are solely based on my reaction to the story. Not the author! Not their actions!
- I will never rate a book that I quit reading if it has to do with my personal feelings of the person who wrote it (unless it is an auto-biography then it is all about the person who wrote it). For me, that crosses MY line of rating a book based on my experience with the story.
- I will never berate someone for rating a book however they see fit. Just because I rate books based on story alone doesn’t mean someone else isn’t allowed to rate on a total different basis. Perhaps an author’s actions are part of that person’s reading experience.
- I reserve the right to walk away from any book I am reading (for review or not) simply because I am not in the mood or the story isn’t for me.
- Readers are my soul-mates!
- Readers are the people whom I go to conventions to meet and mingle with!
- Readers get that personal experience bleeds into every story you read!
- Readers get that something that worked for you at a different time in life might not work now. That is how stories fit our lives. That is the true beauty of stories.
- Readers get that different troupes work for different folks. It is OK to love something that someone else hates. There are tons of stories to fit whatever your fancy is!
- I very seldom look at who a publisher is on a book until I am finished and putting it into my blog for review.
- Who a publisher is doesn’t matter to me (traditional, self, small–are all just distribution channels to me). The story is what counts!
- I reserve the right to boycott a distribution channel if I feel it is impacting my reading world in a negative way. I believe in the “put your dollar where your mouth is” way of protesting. This is the only time that the distribution channel impacts my reading experience.
- I, however, make no demands that someone else follow suit. Your money, your spending power!
- I buy my books from where I want. I feel everyone has that choice and should exercise it.
- I don’t feel you are a bad fan if you buy from somewhere (as long as it is legal) that an author has suggested against. If 2nd hand books are what you can afford–go for it. If you love Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Independents, Audiobook suppliers, Half Price Books, or super mega stores: Go For It!
- Libraries rock! <—perfect place to get books to read!
- I love the reading community. They get something that my non-reader friends do not.
- I hate that drama takes away from the love reading at times. My goal is to be aware but to disengage when it threatens my love of reading.
Blog policies from this point forward:
- I will continue to work (on a limited basis) with my current audiobook contacts. I love them and there has been very little (or no) drama in that part of the reading world.
- I will continue to work with other bloggers and readers on events.
- I will no longer (after my current obligations) be doing Blog Tours unless it is connected with audiobooks. Then I will because I love spreading the audiobook love.
- I will continue to do Top Off Tuesdays and Book Blog Walkers because I love them dearly. They also give me another way to show my love of cover art and fitness.
- I will be putting more emphasis on highlighting libraries (probably 2 events and 1 reading challenge in the New Year).
- I will be putting more emphasis on reading for fun.
- I will be visiting some older reads because they have been sitting on my shelves far too long.
- I will embrace readers with differing opinions and viewpoints of stories. That is actually my favorite part-both debating and squeeing over stories. The individual thoughts a story can produce are almost as good as the stories themselves.
- I will remember why I started doing this on Dec 29, 2008: For the love reading and connecting with readers. I think in some instances I have lost my way a couple of times but I am firmly back on track.
- I will continue to do discussion posts around things that impact me as a reader because things like pricing, availability, cover art, and troupes are important to the stories/books/reading experience.
Things I now have:
(I wish I didn’t have too but I understand this has to do with the business of blogging in this day and age)
So that is my reading/blogging motto!
What is yours? I might have to add some bullet points. Gosh I love bullet points!
- #FitReaders: Join us for December 2020 - December 1, 2020
- #30DaysOfThanks2020 #SultryListeners : 2018 Their Rebellious Submissive Office Intrigue By: Nicole Edwards Narrated by: Tor Thom, Charley Ongel - November 13, 2020
- #30DaysOfThanks2020 #SultryListeners : 2018Rip Cord By: Jeanne St. James Narrated by: John Solo - November 12, 2020